Jayne Cravens: Skills Inventory
& Core Professional Competencies
COMMUNICATIONS, COMMUNITY OUTREACH & PARTNERSHIPS
- More than 20 years of experience working with nonprofit
organizations, non-governmental organizations (NGOs), corporations,
public sector organizations, grass roots groups, universities and other
- Internationally-recognized expert in press
relations and community outreach, project management, volunteer
involvement, and capacity-building for staff and community
- Proven skills as a director and manager of programs and projects,
with a focus on creating a results-oriented environment that empowers
staff to do the best job possible and take responsibility for their
- Proven skills as a presenter, trainer and
- Comfortable working in a high-demand, dynamic environment with
limited resources, or even limited infrastructure, and with diverse
and/or remote staff.
- Commitment to take ownership of responsibilities and to ensure the
effective and timely completion of tasks.
- Proven skills working with socially-excluded communities and
religiously-conservative cultures where mistrust might be pervasive.
- Commitment to ensuring a gender focus is present in outreach
materials, promoting gender considerations in various program
activities, and carrying out activities in a culturally-sensitive and
- Directing press relations and community outreach activities, via both
traditional and online avenues, for a variety of organizations. leading
to higher participant numbers, increased press coverage and brand
- writing and distributing press releases, pitching stories,
networking with press contacts, coordinating press conferences, etc.
- monitoring news wires
- managing web sites
- gathering and editing content for various audiences (donors,
specific communities, media, general public, etc.) from a variety of
different offices and departments
- directing design, production and distribution of brochures,
posters, flyers and other publications
- drafting and implementing communications policies and procedures
- setting up and moderating/facilitating online discussion groups
- regularly contributing to online discussions, other
organization's events and trade publications
- writing speeches for a variety of audiences and with a variety of
- creating and delivering presentations at onsite and online
- identifying audiences to target and creating and implementing
strategies to reach such
- editing technical documents, including those written by
non-native English speakers
- designing and conducting surveys
- sharing photos online
- setting up and staffing information booths at conferences and
events, and training staff to manage such
- setting up purpose-driven community meetings
- Extensive experience working with major media outlets (The New
York Times, CNN, The Wall Street Journal, the BBC,
Deustche Welle, USA Today, National Public Radio, "Entertainment
Tonight," among others), as well as local press and online media.
- Writing video scripts, directing live online video events (including
in October 2001 featuring Tim Berners Lee) and producing video and audio
pieces via a desktop computer for both external and internal audiences.
- Advising on local and international campaigns.
- Directing internal communications activities:
- compiling information from remote staff
- directing internal information distribution
- producing internal newsletters
- coordinating intranet materials.
- Preparing confidential reports and executive-level communications.
- Facilitating participatory meetings to help attendees identify
community needs and community-lead solutions.
- Identifying and negotiating with potential corporate and agency
- Extensive experience gathering information and compiling reports and
proposals for both internal and external purposes, including reports for
the U.S. Dept. of Health and Human Services, various UN agencies,
various government donors (such as USAID), and corporate donors.
- Developing and maintaining a knowledge base for programs and
projects; preparing background documents, reports and recommendations;
and providing a critique and commentary on documents prepared by others.
- Training and supervising staff in communications, community outreach
and customer service activities.
ADMINISTRATION & GENERAL MANAGEMENT
- Designing, launching and directing large national and international
initiatives relating to volunteerism, with the goal of encouraging
individual and organizational participation.
- Advising on strategies for volunteer involvement in United Nations
initiatives and for various other organizations, and creating and
coordinating agency-wide volunteer -involvement strategies (recruitment,
orientation, supervision, tracking results, etc.).
- Providing expert advice on various manuals and policies relating to
- Designing and administering grants programs, screening donation
requests, and making funding recommendations.
- Corporate social responsibility in practice: decisions and actions to
save energy, reduce waste, support local businesses, etc.
- Organizing various special events.
- Supervising hundreds of volunteers, as well as training and
supervising paid staff to work with volunteers.
- Documenting activities for handover to other staff.
- Extensive computer experience (advanced re: word-processing, using
online discussion groups, blogs, instant messaging, shared online
working spaces and other interactive tools; intermediate re: slide
presentations; basic re: spreadsheets, and video and audio recording and
- Proven negotiation skills with potential partners.
- Extensive experience interviewing staff for various posts.
- Experience drafting policies regarding interns, employee volunteering
and employee education/learning.
- Extensive experience supervising staff.
- Extensive experience conducting research (non-academic).
- Proven skills managing budgets and successfully raising or mobilizing
- Typing (75 wpm, 3% error).
- Valid USA driver's license and ability to drive a manual
Read more about Jayne's credentials and expertise
Read more about Jayne's
Read more about Jayne's workshops &
If you are interested in my professional activities and travels,
subscribe to my
my consulting services | about
Jayne Cravens | return to home page
contact me | linking
to or from these pages
The art work and material on this
site was created and is copyrighted 1996-2010
by Jayne Cravens and Coyote Communications, all rights reserved
(unless noted otherwise, or the art is a link to another web site).